Bengal has a great tradition of textiles and weaving, and I was happy to see my friend Sutapa Mukherjee in a saree after a long long time on a post here (facebook). It was a coincidence I had picked up a saree she got for me from Kolkata that day and wish she can at least take up a 12 saree a year pact, if not #100SareePact . Except for some government offices, sarees have vanished from our offices mostly. So, it is going to be a lot of hard work to make that attire accepted as "professional" wear. The other coincidence that day was the khun blouse I had matched. I was going for the Press Club function to celebrate a milestone in the life and career of journalist friend Olga Tellis. Half way to the club I thought Olga regularly wears khun blouses. She is highly eclectic in the way she dresses, from chic western wear to very ethnic sarees matched with khun blouses. That day too she was in a red cotton, typical Maharashtrian saree with a khun blouse. This saree has a unique shooting arrows kind of pattern not very visible in this photo.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dhonekali or Didi sarees

Andal's Kili

Pochampally, the weave that comes from a great land