Parisera Pachai Kattam





It was Friday evening, last day of the weeklong Carnatic music festival at Shanmukhananda, so a nice saree was due! I started the week with green and so ended the season with one. I do have a bit of guilt when I buy things online. This one#100SareePact, a traditional Kanchi silk is from Parisera, and the reason for ordering online was the traditional design that they had created. Every time I asked the weaver's home/store I go to at Kanchipuram, he cribs about labour cost, no labour available and that is a constant constraint in getting kattams, retta pets made. One of the reasons why many of the korvais, rettai pets, double side border went out of looms for a while before some recreations started happening. But, they are expensive and not easily affordable. Two posts agoVidhya Devarajan had expressed her admiration for my collection and my stories, I should acknowledge here as to how I found in her father, my daughter's dance guru, somone who talks in great detail about sarees, the jewels that would match them, sense of fine dressing etc., He has such fine aesthetic sense, it is a great deal to me if he appreciates what I wear :) Another person I would like to mention here with what I am wearing is Rakesh Dhariwal's father - I don't have close up, but the Navratna ear rings were made by him. Some of the best pieces of gold jewelry I have were made by Rakesh's father and he would pick and choose the best. It felt nice to be dressed well, and what a great evening it turned out to be. Performing for the first time at Shanmukhananda the young duo, Trichur Brothers completely kept us mesmerized with their music. Their adherence to tradition, both in music and life, their guru bhakti and the sense of duty and pride in composing an anthem for the clean ganga campaign Namami Gange were touching. Vimala Sanjay you missed it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dhonekali or Didi sarees

Andal's Kili

Pochampally, the weave that comes from a great land